Durham 2nd XV vs Edinburgh 1st XV

Wednesday saw Durham host Edinburgh, a team that we previously played on the Scotland pre-season tour. While the last match had gone our way, the boys knew the win was not guaranteed, especially based off Edinburgh’s position in the table, just two points behind us after two wins from two.

The game kicked off at 2:00 and from the go Durham were on the attack, with Harri Guy regaining the kick-off before storming towards the line. However, a misplaced pass led to a turnover before a penalty gifted Edinburgh an easy exit. In what would become a common theme this first half, poor discipline led to more penalties, allowing the opposition an attacking position. After 5 minutes of solid defence, Durham went down to 14 when Hugo Tasker was sent off for 10. Edinburgh soon capitalised, scoring the first points of the game. Now 5-0 and 1 man down, a big shift was required from the boys. The team provided just that, getting onto the board shortly thanks to a driving mall scored by Jack Hutchinson. The second score soon came after, with Harri Guy scoring for the second week running. A Matt Beese conversion and Durham lead 12-5. Unfortunately, due to a defensive lapse Edinburgh claimed one back, the score now 12-10. Durham weren’t going to give up their lead though, with Hedge flying through untouched off a lovely tip from Hugo Tasker. Half time arrived, finishing at 19-10.

The second half started well with Matt Beese slotting a penalty to increase the lead to 12. The score would not remain that way for long as an intercept meant Edinburgh cut the gap to 5 points. The Durham reply was swift, Harri Guy crashing over again, 27-17. From this point on, the game finally opened up largely due to the fresh legs off the bench. Ciaran Armstrong was keen to speed up the game and the pace soon picked up. The next try was scored by Rhys Belcher, galloping over from 10 metres out with his first touch of the ball. The Joué had only just began though, with Charlie Spawforth showing his sevens skill set, gliding through the defence. Two conversions from Armstrong had put Durham into a commanding lead, the score now 41-17. The tries kept on coming, with front row replacement Nikita scoring a try any back would be proud of. Durham’s intent to play would unfortunately result in two tries for Edinburgh, but the final say would go to us, Fergus Haig finally scoring after multiple line breaks and a very questionable goose step. Ciaran maintained his 100% kicking rate and the game ended 55-31, a great result once again securing the maximum 5 points.

Overall, an outstanding and somewhat strange game of rugby and a great way to continue the winning streak.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter App Icon